This senior level process controls position performs engineering work in the analysis, planning and controls of the manufacturing process for the production of pulp and paper products. Mill Process Control Engineers work closely with Operations, E&I maintenance, and project teams to deliver operational excellence and achieve safety, reliability, environmental, quality, and cost goals in the operational areas of responsibility through the application of automation technologies. Position Level (PL) to vary based upon experience.
The key accountabilities listed below are not to be considered all-inclusive; a team member may be required to perform additional tasks, as directed, and based on changing business needs of the company.
- Understand the project delivery process and help define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals, mill safety, reliability, and improvement efforts.
- Provide process control support to both capital and maintenance projects by developing a clear understanding of business objectives, identifying control objectives required to meet business objectives for assigned area and implementation of those objectives. Lead or participate in evaluating and selecting the best control strategy, implementing and testing control strategy for projects with controls scope.
- Responsible for improving performance in key process control metrics such as alarms, operator interventions, controls utilization and performance for assigned areas. Responsible for the day-to-day development, support, maintenance and implementation of advanced process control applications, process optimization, process information management systems and alarm databases.
- Manage, support and/or coordinate capital and expense projects with control scope.
- Work independently and jointly with Operators and Engineers to Improve, develop, and implement control strategies that improve plant safety, process performance, profitability, and efficiency.
- Work jointly with the Process Control Application Technician (PCAT) within assigned operating area to ensure adequate support in maintenance, troubleshooting, tuning, and enhancing existing control schemes:
- Lead loop tuning efforts on tuning control loops
- Helps to set the weekly direction and focus for the PCAT work in assigned areas
- Create and provide instruction for training of Operations, I&E Maintenance and Technical personnel on control subjects as needed.
- Works under the direction of the process control group leader to be the primary daily process control support to assigned area within a Pulp Mill.
- BS Degree (minimum) in engineering (Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical). Knowledge and skills in the area of process control engineering, which includes but not limited to Honeywell DCS and Emerson Delta V control systems; industrial communications networks; field instruments, valves and analyzers; multivariable control, and Program Logic Controls, or ability to build understanding and knowledge quickly in those areas.
- Minimum 2-5 yrs total experience in Pulp and Paper process, process control, project engineering, maintenance, or operations.
- Strong project team or task group leadership skills.
- Good understanding of control systems theory and application.
- Ability to coach and lead technical resources.
- Excellent planning and project development or management skills
2+ to 5 years experience
- Seniority Level – Associate
- Management Experience Required – No
- Minimum Education – Bachelor’s Degree
- Willingness to Travel – Never
Why is This a Great Opportunity:
Soild Company, they produce corrugated packaging products that protect and promote goods, and enable worldwide commerce, and pulp for diapers, tissue and other personal care products that promote health and wellness