Start a Search
Safety Instrumented System Engineer
Website Oculus Search
The Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) Engineer provides engineering services and expertise to ensure the safe and reliable management of SIS at the refinery throughout the entire IEC 61511 lifecycle. The SIS Engineer is part of the SIS team reporting to the refinery SIS Leader.
- Assist Maintenance department in the upkeep and troubleshooting of installed SIS (documentation updates, test procedures and support, troubleshooting, critical work reviews, MOCs, bypassing, recommending spare parts, turnaround scope development and execution support).
- Plan and track completion of all SIS testing in accordance with the proof test intervals defined in the SRS, including periodic online testing and offline testing of equipment during outages and turnarounds.
- Participate in investigations and review of SIS events including failures, demands, and spurious trips.
- Track and analyze the reliability of the SIS through a Key Performance Indicator (KPI) program and make recommendations for improvement.
- Subject Matter Expert for SIS and instrumentation during HAZOPs, i.e. analysis of Independent Protection Layers (IPLs) and HAZOP recommendations
- Lead and participate in Functional Safety Assessments (FSAs) as a competent SIS engineer, for both new and existing SIS.
- Update and maintain SIS documentation including Safety Requirements Specification (SRS), datasheets, I&E drawings, FSAs, LOPAs, SRS, FATs, validation and proof tests, etc.
- Participate in audits related to SIS, including Mechanical Integrity, PSM, and insurance risk.
- Engineer small expense-ruled SIS efforts including design, MOC, construction support, and PSI documentation updates. Author Engineering Work Requests (EWRs) for larger capital efforts.
- Apply instrumentation and SIS expertise to instruments, logic solves, valves and other final elements in all job functions.
- Develop, review, approve and update proof test procedures for installed SIS. Evaluate test results and identify corrective action plans.
- Actively participate in Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPAs) for new and modified SIS.
- Provide technical support, field experience and best practices to capital project engineers for upcoming SIS projects to help each project be successful.
- Aid turnaround planners in developing the justification and content of SIS scope based upon instrument service history, and requirements to test, rebuild, or replace instruments. Ensure SIS test procedure readiness.
- Select new replacement instrumentation and valves when a component is obsolete, unreliable, or otherwise not performing up to specification. Perform Management of Change (MOC) for SIS modifications including updates to Process Safety Information (PSI) such as datasheets and E/I drawings.
- Review validation test procedures (Site Acceptance Test) for new or modified SIS installations involving a capital project.
- Work with Process Controls to ensure the SIS application programs meet the respective SRS and are correctly being tested in validation and proof tests.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering
- 5 years of experience with industrial instrumentation
- 3 years of experience in the process industry (refining, preferred)
- 2 years of experience with Safety Instrumented Systems
- Active 3rd party SIS certification from exida (CFSE or CFSP) or TÜV (FS Engineer) preferred
- Must be obtained within 12 months of being hired
- Experience with Distributed Controls Systems