Website Oculus Search
Job Title: Design Engineer
Location: Cresco, Iowa
Job Summary of the Design Engineer: The Design Engineer will be responsible for executing and leading the full design process from idea to production. You will draw new designs and update current designs. During the creation process you will ensure that the designs meet all necessary design responsibilities using AutoCAD 2D, Inventor 3D, and other software programs to support customers, Sales, Production, and Engineering staff by preparing custom and standard layouts, sketches & diagrams, assembly drawings, and detail drawings to include all views and dimensions necessary for manufacturing. Maintain information regarding changes to standard and custom BOM database. Research and work with purchasing personnel to source specialty items. Make basic decisions but can refer questions/problems to Engineering senior staff.
Job Responsibilities of the Design Engineer:
· Use AutoCAD and Inventor software to develop designs.
· Create and detail 2D & 3D drawings for fabrication and assembly with assurance of proper fit and function.
· Utilize and apply engineering disciplines (statics, strength of materials, dynamics, & stress analysis) and best practices to solve design problems.
· Make final drawings of proposed design, checking dimension of parts, materials to be used, relation of one part to another, and relation of various parts to whole structure or project.
· Produce and document all drawings required to complete a full build according to sales order or specification.
· Lead design review meetings with both structure and interior production team leaders.
· Communicate with salesperson or vendors about design possibilities.
· Receive written specifications and verify to sales drawings using AutoCAD 2D. Distribute updated information to production staff.
· Assure customer satisfaction in ways that are consistent with the position: safe, complete, accurate, on time.
· Work with salesperson or vendors to finalize the designs and working drawings.
· Assist with Engineering Change documentation as it relates to revisions made to standard drawings.
· Create sales drawings in AutoCAD 2D for potential sales contracts as needed.
· Document, distribute, and maintain trailer project change orders initiated from sales team.
· Project leadership responsibility across multiple projects at various stages of completion.
· Assist with process improvements within the department and contribute ideas for analytical tools such as F.E.A. and Excel.
· Compile and document all purchased parts requirements as they pertain to a project and communicate them with Purchasing Dept.
Education & Experience of the Design Engineer:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering degree required.
· Minimum of 3-5 years of related work experience with a proven record of successfully creating 3D models.
· Minimum 1-year experience with AutoCAD 2D.
· Demonstrated ability to deliver complex product design performance through project management and problem-solving skills.
· Proven ability as an effective leader, with the demonstrated ability to foster cross-functional influence and collaboration.
· Lean ideology, manifesting as a strong drive for continuous improvement.